Senior Communications Analyst
Hirons, Midwest-based and employee-owned communications agency, is seeking a Washington D.C.-based Senior Communications Analyst (SCA) to provide public outreach, education and marketing support for a U.S. military partner. The position, which will be held on a contract basis, will have the responsibility to support the partner’s efforts from their Washington, D.C. office location.
The SCA reports to the Program Manager. This position serves as senior advisor to the Director of Communications and supervises the communications contract team. The SCA will be responsible for providing executive-level support while managing all communications requirements. SCA candidates should demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills and will support other initiatives/engagements as required. The SCA will work collaboratively to promote and maintain an effective and productive team environment. Experience with large-scale energy projects and/or U.S. military executive organizations is desired.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as senior advisor to the Director of Communications and supervises the communications support contract team.
- Responsible for recommending, developing, reviewing, implementing and updating strategic communication resources, including plans, speeches, metrics reports, informational papers, presentations and other core documents. Candidates must demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Responsibilities include event planning and coordination, public outreach and education communications, development of outreach materials and brand management in addition to the preparation of presentations, talking points, web content, e-blast content, newsletters, fact sheets, brochures and information papers for publication.
- Provide executive-level support and management for all communications requirements.
- Lead support for non-military installation event coordination, tracking and planning.
- Communicate event information to organization.
- Maintain awareness of organizational event participation.
- Hold internal prep sessions with client management, preparing remarks/presentations and quads charts.
- Coordinate meetings with industry members/military installation stakeholders in conjunction with other events.
- Military Installation Renewable Energy Projects: Lead development of communications materials for each project milestone (e.g. fact sheets, senior leader/stakeholder notifications, web postings), coordinates formal review and approvals, responsible for coordination and planning for installation events (ribbon cuttings, groundbreakings, industry days) to include stakeholder meetings, registration site, e-vites, display shipping, name badges and programs creation.
- Website: Lead identification of website updates and obtain internal approvals, coordinate graphic support as needed and work with partner teams to integrate website updates.
- Displays & Branding: Lead coordination of cost estimates for new display materials, identify needs and provide tasking guidance to reach-back support team (new/updated display designs, new project logos, etc.), coordinate approvals of design and costs, develop layout plans/estimates for office display materials and execute plan once approval is obtained.
Other Areas of Support:
- Support military partner leadership by providing key project and integration support to external engagement and communications requirements in achieving their current energy strategy.
- Provide support in building and executing strategic and tactical communications plans that include key information and processes that integrate with the client’s internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead support efforts for several main functions inside the external engagement team, including communications coordination, public outreach and marketing support, and events, online and social media support.
- Review opportunity assessments, project evaluations and plans, and develop innovative strategies to address project issues.
- Provide advice and recommendations to partner and client leadership to accelerate project development and organizational efficiency;
- Work closely with financial analysis activity to ensure incorporation of proper macro-economic assumptions.
- Conduct assessments of client strategy, portfolio, and operational metrics.
- Develop internal client’s current energy strategy.
- Develop strategies, guidance and/or concept papers as required.
- Support the partner and client leadership and staff by supporting an external engagement analysis and risk management process that assists in identifying, managing, monitoring, and reducing risks in the portfolio of projects supported.
- Support the partner and client leadership and staff by conducting reviews of existing policies, guidance, and project execution.
- Support work-flow processes and schedules to accomplish assigned projects, plans, and activities associated with approved current and projected projects and functions.
- Interface with government management personnel and contract managers and provide regular reports of progress.
- Maintain responsibility for setting and enforcing work standards and communicating policies, purposes, and goals of the organization to subordinates to ensure all objectives are successfully met.
- Present analyses through a variety of means, including formal written studies and oral presentations.
- Serve as an authority to address integration related issues in achieving client’s current energy strategy, and based on the government lead requirements, interface with and obtains information from a variety of sources across the industry as well as other organizations to support client activities.
- Prepare or collaborate with other senior staff in the preparation of comprehensive position papers, memorandums, and/or briefing materials across all phases of operations for use with senior management.
- Represent the client, as required, at meetings with industry, military installation leadership, steering committees and public conferences.
- Support the partner and client leadership and staff by monitoring energy sector developments pertinent to the operating environment.
- Ensure all data for assigned projects is entered promptly in project monitoring systems and ensure this data is always up to date and accurate.
- Function as a member of a dynamic team.
- Train new staff on procedures as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with military leadership, and senior briefings.
- Significant experience with large scale external engagement projects.
- A high degree of pride and attention to detail with work product.
- Ability to communicate clearly, courteously and effectively both internally and externally with partner and client staff, and external parties.
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills and strong Excel, PowerPoint and Word skills for correspondence and reports and making presentations and explaining issues and analysis to a variety of audiences.
- Organization, prioritization and time management skills.
- Master’s degree, preferably in communications fields such as Journalism, Marketing or English, although Liberal Arts or other similar areas of study are acceptable.
- Fifteen (15) years of experience in managing public affairs communications and relationships for corporate or major public sector organization.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications fields such as Journalism, Marketing or English, although Liberal Arts or other similar areas of study are acceptable.
- Nineteen (19) years of experience in managing public affairs communications and relationships for corporate or major public sector organization.
- Experience working with military leadership as a government civilian or a contract employee.
- U.S. Citizen.
Compensation for this position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.