Media Relations Coordinator
Support the overall communications strategy and efforts for the Indiana Economic Development Corporation, ensuring that the IEDC, Indiana’s pro-growth business climate, and the state’s economic development priorities are represented often and accurately in state, regional, national and international media.
Examples of Essential Functions:
- Coordinate with private-sector businesses, state agencies and local communities across the state to draft and distribute news releases highlighting new businesses, job creation plans and industry growth.
- Assist the corporation in serving as a spokesperson, responding to various media inquiries and proactively pitching media on news and stories that highlight Indiana’s business climate and support the IEDC’s strategic priorities and services.
- Draft executive briefings, talking points and fact sheets for media interviews, events, or for related high-profile and breaking news.
- Monitor media coverage, both in traditional outlets and on digital media, distributing daily media updates and sharing insight with leadership and external-facing employees as needed.
- Plan, draft and edit various communications materials, including letters, speeches, press releases and media advisories, web content, social media messages, scripts and publications.
- Coordinate with external stakeholders and partners to maximize promotion of the IEDC and its priorities, advancing the corporation’s relationships and ensuring communications partnerships are mutually beneficial.
- Maximize social media and online tools to more effectively communicate with news media and stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, public relations, communications, or related field.
- Two to five years related professional work experience, preferably with experience in the private sector
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Personal relationships with journalists in one or more of the IEDC’s key markets a plus
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects to meet both internal and external deadlines, and perform other work-related duties as assigned
- Must have the ability to multi-task and work effectively under pressure
- Proficient in business and technical writing, writing for the media, copy editing and verbal communications
- News media, news structure and ethics, journalistic techniques, terminology and AP Style
- Public affairs relative to economic development a plus
- Excel in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Effectively communicate information and ideas in written and verbal format, and build and maintain relationships
- Prioritize multiple projects
- Handle stressful situations in a tactful manner
- Maintain confidentiality
Email resume, cover letter and 2-3 writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.