Public Information Officer
Join Our Team! The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) offers exciting career opportunities in hundreds of professional and non-professional fields statewide. INDOT provides a dynamic workplace while serving Indiana Citizens, improving our state’s quality of life, and enhancing economic opportunity. INDOT offers exciting career opportunities for both professional and non-professional workers. INDOT offers a competitive total compensation package, as well as outstanding work/life balance.
Our competitive total compensation package includes flexible schedules and generous time off, medical, dental, and vision insurance, group life insurance, and an employer-funded retirement plan.
Whether you are an established professional in the transportation field or just starting your career, INDOT has exciting and challenging opportunities for you.
This position serves as Media Relations Director for a District in the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) and is responsible for addressing and answering District media inquires, developing and distributing media releases, performing outreach activities, and maintaining District website and social media communications. This position is key to ensuring accurate and timely public information is readily available and promoting a positive public image for INDOT. This position reports directly to the Manager of the Public Information Office.
- Answer media inquires; draft media releases; coordinate outreach activities; and maintain website and social media communications for District.
- Partner with local media organizations to proactively promote a positive public image for INDOT.
- Present information to local media organizations regarding District programs and projects.
- Work with local organizations and local transportation staff to address inquires regarding District project progress and road closures.
- Partner with District and Central Office Communication Division in developing key messages and coordinating with external media communications.
- Plan and implement media/communications/outreach strategies that support internal operations and enhance INDOT’s external public image.
- Work with District and Central Office management and staff to gather information for various media publications.
- Responsible for addressing all inquiries made to District.
- Coordinate the direct responses to inquiries to District Deputy Commissioner and other District management when necessary.
- Meet with and advise District management on methods of communication presentation in order to communicate District public relations.
- Represent INDOT at various events (e.g. memorials, local community meetings/presentations, groundbreaking, etc.).
- Responsible for proactively ensuring local community organizations and leaders understand INDOT’s current and future program and project plans.
- Collaborate with other state agency personnel to coordinate media activities, tools, and initiatives (e.g. Indiana State Police, Indiana Office of Technology, etc.).
- Represent District at meetings, conferences, seminars, workshops.
- Establish and maintain communication with local elected officials from counties, municipalities, federal and local agencies with regard to INDOT program matters.
- Work with project experts to research, write, edit and distribute District specific messages for project specific updates and other communication tools.
- Develop and maintain communications events and schedule.
- Responsible for the implementing and monitoring Central Office Communications Division policies and procedures.
- Provides various monthly reports to District management and Central Office Communications Division regarding volume and type of media and other inquiries and outreach activities.
- Manage targeted distribution lists for local media contacts.
- Assist in the development, implementation and management of electronic communications tools including websites, social media and e-newsletters providing timely information for the public.
- Assist in the identification of short and long term communications goals.
- Stay current on agency and District operational, administrative, and technical functions.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Frequent travel required.
Apply by Friday, December 22 at http://bit.ly/2BGhs7Z