Director of Marketing, Economic Development
This position evaluates and shapes future promotional products and plans, executes ongoing promotions, manages website content and markets the destination and niche markets across multiple platforms and serves as the face of “investment” in the broadest sense for Hamilton County’s efforts in the region, state and nationally.
Note, this position currently is funded through a management contract between HCT and HCEDC. The contract is through year-end December 2019, but if the pilot is proven successful, adequate funds can sustain the position for an extended period of time. This position reports to Hamilton County Tourism President/CEO and is part of the HCT team, but it has additional reporting requirements, along with the President/CEO of HCT, to the HCEDC Board of Directors.
See press release for details about the HCT/HCEDC partnership: HCT & HCED Press Release
- Work with the Hamilton County Tourism President/CEO, with additional input and support from the Hamilton County Tourism Vice President/CSO, to set strategic direction and create annual plans and budgets.
- Report to the Hamilton County Economic Development Corporation Board of Directors quarterly to provide updates, gain insights and for budget and annual work plan approval.
- Oversee the day-to-day marketing budget, balancing fiscal and productivity goals.
- Work with contractors (e.g. photographers, videographers, writers) to lead direction, theme or experience and message for each campaign.
- Consult regularly to learn about new products and develop new promotions and react to market trends and include that in the overall vision of the organization’s messaging.
- Evaluate return on investment for campaigns and media choices and provide direction based on that ROI.
- Direct and execute paid marketing buys with contractors and through social media advertising platforms for positioning in other markets.
- Plan, oversee and execute all promotional activities. These could include direct email, email blasts, guerrilla marketing, exhibits and displays, free standing inserts, website/digital/mobile promotions, product endorsements, trade shows, special events, discounts, samples, gifts, coupons or contests.
- Provide overall direction and strategy on design, video and content.
- While this position does not include any direct reports, it could include a team of contract service providers and access to HCT support staff and will require management of those important relationships.
- Create, write, develop and manage original content for HCEDC’s web presence, coordinating web projects and maintaining a consistent look and feel throughout all web properties. Work cross departmentally to keep content current.
- Integrate marketing and promotions programs to the website to keep it current, fresh, valuable and appealing to users.
- Incorporate new technologies where relevant. Work closely with the HCT’s Digital Marketing Manager to establish ways to evaluate the financial and performance aspects of new technologies such as budget, cost, user-friendly and return on investment.
- Work closely with the Digital Marketing Manager to maintain standards, keep current on emerging technologies and incorporate best tools to optimize performance.
- Create a content calendar on stories that should be told to shape messaging, contract with those providers and put that content into play.
- Write content for blogs, newsletters, op-eds and other newsworthy pieces that tell the story of Hamilton County as a place for investment and high quality of life.
Branding & Video/Photography (10%)
- Work with the HCEDC Board to develop a proactive and community-focused brand extension plan of work, approved annually as part of the overall plan.
- Build the existing brand, incorporating and integrating Hamilton County’s business development partners and communities into promotional activities through co-ops.
- Follow and promote style guidelines among partners to ensure brand integrity.
- Identify needed photography and video for all markets; work with content providers.
Additional Responsibilities (10%)
- Participate in business and commerce-related functions and activities as needed.
- Participate in HCEDC Board project meetings as required by leadership.
- Participate in HCT meetings to be a part of the team culture of the organization, and to utilize available talent for sharing and insights.
- Demonstrate a commitment to developing and embracing Hamilton County Tourism’s core values of communication, collaboration, growth, intelligence and stewardship, which also will serve HCEDC’s vision well.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, tourism or related field
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience, including direct project management
- Understanding of marketing/advertising/promotions concepts
- Previous experience in a supervisory role of contract support preferred
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Journalistic and storytelling writing skills
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills
- Strategic thinking skills and ability to streamline processes
- Capacity to manage multiple projects and tasks
- Strong attention to detail, with a commitment to quality and accuracy
- Ability to work independently and as the leader of a team
- Proficiency in current computer software systems, to include Microsoft Office and web content management systems
- Ability to lift at least 25 pounds
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive own car as well as HCT’s vehicles
- Some overnight travel required for professional development
- Although this position is primarily 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday, some weekend or evening work may be required
If interested in applying for this position, send a cover letter, resume and responses to the questions below to email@example.com by August 24.
- What makes you uniquely qualified to fill this role?
- Describe a promotion or campaign that you are most proud of.