Special Events and Marketing Manager
The Special Events and Marketing Manager brings excellent event planning and management skills, creativity, and enthusiasm to a collaborative, agile team at the home and museum of America’s Hoosier President. The mission of the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site is to “share the life stories, arts and culture of an American President to increase public participation in the American system of self-government.”
The primary job function is to organize and maintain the Special Events program of the museum. This position is responsible for coordinating/managing all aspects of annual events at the museum, helping secure foundation and corporate underwriting, recruitment of event participants and volunteers in partnership with the Volunteer Experience Manager, management of event logistics and contracts, and management of costs to achieve or exceed event financial goals.
Additional job functions include overseeing social media calendars and posts, writing and sending e-blasts and e-newsletters, updating the Presidential Site website, and working with PR/Marketing contractor on all other event promotion.
Requirements include significant event planning experience; excellent organizational, communication, and computer skills; experience with social media and web content design; knowledge of direct mail and print material development; ability to work with donors, vendors, and volunteers; and the ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities.
This position reports to the Vice President of Development and works in cooperation with all other staff members.
The Special Events and Marketing Manager will:
- Develop annual budget and business plan for Special Events
- Plan, organize, and execute all special events at the Presidential Site, including the Presidential Egg Roll, Coffee with the Curator, Pop-Up Garden Party, Wicket World of Croquet, Candlelight Theatre, Naturalization Ceremony, Independence Day Social, Croquet Roquet, Civil War Dinner, Candlelight Evening on Delaware Street, and special LIVE! event tours of the Presidential Site
- Partner with the Vice President of Development to act in a logistical support capacity for the Mary Tucker Jasper Speaker Series as appropriate
- Work with the VP of Development to secure and steward corporate underwriting and grants in support of special event programming
- Partner with the Volunteer Manager to prepare and train special event volunteers
- Work with PR contractor to promote the Presidential Site’s programs and initiatives
- Compile, create and send the monthly eNews and eBlasts to various email lists
- Work closely with Education to coordinate special event program schedules and staff support
- Evaluate all special event programming on annual basis and make recommendations for special events calendar
- Oversee special event interns as appropriate
- Manage and market lawn rentals
- Coordinate with rental contractors to ensure compliance with Presidential Site policies and procedures
- Act as gatekeeper of the Presidential Site brand by ensuring consistency across advertising, promotions, internal work, campaign marketing, social media, and other areas of representation
- Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of methods related to special event management
- Experience using social media platforms and scheduling services such as Hootsuite
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of information storage/data processing and computer programs, including Microsoft Office suite
- Experience with Adobe Suite programs a plus
- Experience in community or professional theatre a plus
Full-time position in Indianapolis, IN. Normal office environment. Involves some evening and weekend hours.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Professional experience in a not-for-profit organization, marketing, or hospitality-industry field.
- Successful track record and tangible experience successfully managing events.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to positively influence and engage a wide range of community partners and build long-term relationships.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a manager who can positively impact relationship development at the Presidential Site.
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels within and outside the Presidential Site.
- Energy and passion for the Presidential Site’s educational and historical mission is essential.
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual business plan development and strategic development.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- A professional and resourceful style with desire to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
Email resume and cover letter to: Bethany Gosewehr, VP of Development, firstname.lastname@example.org