Convention Marketing Coordinator
To promote Indy as a thriving destination in support of attracting and retaining conventions and major sporting events, including creating custom marketing content, developing and communicating key messages, and helping execute special events. All Visit Indy employees are productive, positive and progressive.
- Manage all tradeshow booth execution, including registration, messaging, overall budget, and delivery of marketing materials to the 25 tradeshow events the Visit Indy team attends across the nation annually.
- Execute Visit Indy’s top events, including the annual ROSE Awards, State of Tourism, sales missions, client events, and familiarization trips including managing RSVP lists, event logistics, coordinating travel, and managing six-figure event budgets.
- To help market the destination, identify and establish unique amenities that position the destination as vibrant and live within the Visit Indy brand— to be gifted to VIP meeting planners— including managing a $23,500+ budget to source, negotiate costs, order, and manage the inventory of gifts.
- Write and post feature content to appear on VisitIndy.com/Meet, including developing landing pages for paid advertising and author new online “Guides” about exploring Indy.
- Develop creative ideas and write content for email marketing, direct mail, video scripts, advertorials, speeches, and special events targeting meeting planners.
- Work with the Governor’s Office and Mayor’s Office to write and get approval on support letters for bids to host major sporting events and conventions and appearances by these elected officials.
- Represent Visit Indy to public in by various means of communicating including: writing press releases, media pitches, and other media-related materials.
- Serve as a representative of Visit Indy by helping to host media while visiting Indy, in support of telling Indy’s story via the convention trade media.
- Develop custom social media content for Visit Indy’s sales and services teams to use in marketing Indy via their own individual channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIN).
- Develop and write presentations for use in reporting-out to key stakeholders, including Visit Indy’s Board, hotel general managers, elected officials, community groups, and funders.
Education and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in tourism, marketing, communications, or a related field is required.
- Minimum of one year experience working in strategic marketing, communications, and/or event planning preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills; strong customer service abilities.
- Ability to make recommendations to effectively solve problems, using judgment consistent with standards, practices, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to focus on details, handle multiple tasks, and remain highly organized in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to interact with a variety of customers, employees, vendors, partners and the general public, both on a one-on-one basis and in groups; must be a team-player.
- Ability to write reports, correspondence, policies and procedures, and other business-related communications.
- Ability to think critically/logically in order to troubleshoot and make recommendations for problems as identified.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Proficient computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Internet browsers, and e-mail systems.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to be adaptable, flexible, and to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work non-routine hours such as late night, weekends, and holidays when necessary.