Public Relations and Communications Specialist
American Camp Association is in search of a public relations and communications specialist. This position assists in creating and maintaining a favorable public image for this organization. They will craft and develop social media programs to shape public perception of ACA and to increase awareness of its work and goals. This position is an hourly, nonexempt position located at the corporate office in Martinsville, Indiana. The job generally requires the ability to perform the following tasks:
- Advancing the mission of ACA by being an innovative, thoughtful, communicative, and productive member of the ACA, Inc. team. As such, the public relations and communications specialist will serve as the primary contact for all national ACA public relations, ultimately sending written responses directly to journalists on behalf of ACA, being clear, consistent, and persistent with journalists as needed.
- Monitoring all media coverage in relation to camp and summer camp programs in the United States.
- Working in tandem with and at the direction of the chief marketing officer on all crisis communications, planning, and ACA statements.
- Creating and sending bi-monthly tip sheets to our established media lists.
- Proactively developing and maintaining relationships across a list of strong and appropriate media contacts.
- Writing and sending press releases for ACA initiatives as directed by the chief marketing officer.
- Curating, creating, and posting content across all communication channels: the ACA website, ACA Connect – our internal membership communications platform, digital signage, and social media channels.
- Ensuring brand, quality, and editorial standards are followed throughout all ACA communications, leveraging the ACA marketing, communications, and editorial calendar across all communication platform channels. Must have excellent writing and editing skills.
- Conducting research to obtain factual information and authentic detail. Writing, reviewing, submitting for approval, and revising written material. Selecting subjects or themes for writing projects.
- Working with IT-based publishing systems and databases, liaising regularly with authors and publishers; checking that authors have provided all the required materials; correcting spelling and grammatical errors. Ensuring copy follows established style guidelines from the Chicago Manual of Style, ACA Graphic Standards, and ACA Standards.
- Ensuring accuracy of all documentation including proper signatories, filing and document retention.
- Collecting and/or generating knowledge and providing avenues for distributing that knowledge to others.
- Working with the marketing team, writing key messages for advertising and promotions including print, online, electronic media, and direct mail. Manages, writes and edits the ACA website content.
- Managing each stage of a project to ensure that commitments are met in a manner that is timely and within budget. Clearly defining tasks and responsibilities, determines necessary resources, and monitors projects as needed. Maintaining appropriate files and schedule related to marketing/communications projects.
Education Requirements & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field (journalism, English, communications, marketing) and 2-4 year of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Experience in a progressively responsible editorial or publication capacity is required.
- Knowledge in principles, practices and techniques of editing, publishing, and web publishing.
- Excellent writer, editor, and proofreader.
- Ability to work well independently, as well as with others in teams.
- Ability to meet frequent deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and creativity.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Acrobat.
- Proficiency in scanning software.
- On call PR phone duties
This is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
To apply, forward cover letter and resume to:
No phone calls please.