The Communications Manager is responsible for developing and implementing communications plans and activities in support of Goodwill’s mission programs and services for employees, job seekers, families and other targeted audiences. By having strong working relationships and becoming a trusted adviser, the Manager is a subject-matter expert on the organization’s mission services and their key audiences, able to anticipate needs and deliver solutions in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment. The Communications Manager takes an audience-centric approach, developing communication plans and original content that meet audiences where they are, in support of organizational objectives. A talented, imaginative writer and editor, the Manager plays a critical role in storytelling – sharing compelling, effective narratives about the organization, its services, and its people. The Manager also provides communications strategy and counsel to staff and senior leadership for Goodwill mission programs and services.
This role demonstrates behaviors consistent with our Mission, Vision and Values, on behalf of Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, marketing or related field
- 5+ years of experience developing and executing communications or public relations plans
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated experience and success in:
- Developing original content about people, programs, organizations or communities; interviewing, writing, editing and publishing stories in print, web, video, etc.
- Media relations, pitching stories and gaining coverage
- Defining target audiences and relevant messaging
- Influencing key decision makers; collaborating and building consensus around communication needs and direction
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Must be able to work closely with all marketing team members and other departments at all levels of the organization; commitment to internal and external customer service is critical; ability to use good judgment and maintain confidentiality on plans that are not yet public is critical