Public Relations Internship
As a college student currently enrolled in classes or a recent graduate in Public Relations, Communications or Journalism, you know that getting ‘real world’ experience through internships is crucially important for professional success.
The Indianapolis Zoo’s paid Public Relations internship offers a unique opportunity to experience all facets of PR. Media relations, photography, videography, storytelling, social media strategy, and website updates are some of the areas you will get to work on with our experienced and Animal Conservation mission-driven PR team.
During this 19-week internship, you will work directly with our Public Relations Director, PR Specialist and Conservation PR Specialist. College students currently enrolled for credit in an accredited college/university, or recent graduates are eligible for this paid internship.
Some experience with or knowledge of similar work is preferred, but is not required. Prior internships or previous experiences in public relations are a plus. Will be expected to attend off-site media events, so the ability to provide personal transportation is required.
The PR Intern will:
- Work closely with the PR team to successfully execute the PR strategies including media outreach and promoting the Zoo, and other assigned tasks;
- Assist with coordination and maintenance of the media contact list, creating and organizing media materials and assisting with distribution.
- Will write meaningful stories, both long and short form, for social media and website.
Consideration is limited to applicants with proven experience in:
- Video/image production including shooting and editing with knowledge of either iMovie, FinalCut or Adobe
- Experience with still photography
- Familiarity with Photoshop
- Ability to use a Mac.
The application deadline for this paid internship is Feb. 10, 2020.
The successful candidate will begin work as early as March 30, 2020 through Aug. 7, 2020. (the start date can be negotiable) and would work 29 hours a week (4 days a week) for 19 weeks. The compensation for this position is $9 per hour. This position is not eligible for benefits or relocation assistance.
- Complete the application process on or before Feb.10, 2020.
- Thoroughly complete an online employment application using the “Apply Now” link below.
- Attach a current resume to the online application. In the “Position Desired” section of the application, please put “Public Relations Internship”.
- Provide a cover letter stating areas of interest in Public Relations and your professional goals and attach to the online application.
- To help ensure receipt of your online application, we recommend that applicants use a computer running Windows XP or higher, with at least Internet Explorer 8, Google Chrome, or Safari.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of drug testing, criminal history checks and a BMV driving check.
The Zoo is a child safe/drug-free/smoke-free EOE Workplace.
Interested candidates must complete an online application via the company website at: https://www.indianapoliszoo.com/jobs-volunteer/available-positions/public-relations-internship/