At Hirons, account directors provide strategic counsel and high-level communications expertise to agency clients while overseeing the implementation of strategic communications plans.
Account directors are responsible for the oversight of assigned clients and they direct the work of their account teams to ensure client goals and measurable objectives are met. The account director is whom other agency staff look to for support, guidance and counsel. The growth and success of their clients and their team members are their paramount concern.
Account directors are responsible for the profitability of their accounts and are also expected to grow business, either through existing clients or new business leads. To this end, account directors must develop community connections with which to grow professionally and attract new business.
While job functions vary by client, successful account directors will:
- Oversee successful long-term work for agency clients on time and within budget
- Create comprehensive strategic plans with goals, measurable objectives, strategies and tactics that are reflective of the client’s organizational goals
- Craft annual scopes of work for clients; oversee all activities within the scope of work
- Have a keen understanding of the types of qualitative and quantitative research methods and how different types can contribute to a client’s success
- Effectively evaluate the success of campaigns
- Intimately understand the client’s business backward and forward
- Internally manage up and down equally effectively
- Supervise a team of successful professionals who excel in their agency roles
- Generate business development leads and growth within existing client portfolio
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, public relations, communications, journalism or a related field
- Minimum 10 years of experience in strategic communications or related field
- Extensive knowledge of advertising/public relations/digital industries and client service
- Expert in strategic communications theory
- High-level experience in developing strategic communications strategies and tactics for top clients or organizations
- Proven ability to maintain and manage large client and agency budgets
- Demonstrated knowledge of research methodologies, including use of quantitative and qualitative, primary and secondary, and formal and informal techniques
- Motivated, organized and detail-oriented approach
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to handle all work in an ethical and courteous manner
- Superior presentation skills
- Dynamic leadership abilities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook
All Hirons employee-owners are required to uphold the highest standards of ethical practice and business conduct. Hirons holds itself to the ethical standards set by the Public Relations Society of America, the American Advertising Federation (via the Institute for Advertising Ethics) and the Interactive Advertising Bureau. As a Hirons employee-owner, you are expected to:
- Be clear, forthright, direct and sincere in every interaction – whether with clients, colleagues, the media or the public.
- Do what you say you are going to do.
- Do the right thing.
- Always act in the best interest of the client.
- Always involve the client as a full partner.
- Treat everyone with dignity and respect.
- Be the colleague you want to have.
- Never say or do anything that you would not want to be a trending topic on Twitter.
- Never disparage a competitor, colleague or client.
- Earn, preserve and protect our reputation.
Apply at hirons.com/careers