Vice President of Communications
As Vice President of Communications & Marketing, you will serve as a leader of our small team by creating and executing a communications strategy that advances our unique mission. This new role, based in Indianapolis, Indiana, will focus on raising the profile of a start-up advocacy organization, RISE INDY, increasing engagement with our key stakeholders, and ultimately influencing public opinion.
Major areas of responsibility include:
Strategic Communications Leadership
● Develop a strategic communications plan aligned to organizational goals that is grounded in evidence-based messaging to reach key audiences
● Lead communications projects and campaigns, tracking metrics and reporting on progress to funders and partners
● Manage a small communications team, including consultants, to ensure effective coordination of work and effective use of internal and consulting resources
● Coordinate with key partners to ensure alignment on strategy and messages
Content Creation and Storytelling
● Create core messaging that effectively communicates our mission, core values, and priorities
● Plan, write, and design communications materials, telling stories that elevate current issues, organizational successes, and the voices of the families we serve
● Develop media relationships and draft, pitch, and deliver compelling stories in local media
● Plan owned and earned media content, including managing and moderating social media posts, blog posts, and op-eds
● Lead content development and creative direction on marketing collateral and reports
Strong candidates will have the following skills and experiences:
- 10+ years of experience in public relations, communications, elections/advocacy, and/or related field
- Preference given to candidates with political campaign experience
- An unwavering commitment to community-driven change and advancing racial equity
- Experience developing, communicating, and managing complex communications and marketing campaigns across a variety of diverse stakeholders
- Access to a media network and in-depth understanding of local media opportunities; successful track record pitching and placing stories
- Skilled in transforming complex problems and ideas into compelling oral and written communications, with a portfolio of work demonstrating effective storytelling across mediums and channels (particularly in education or relevant issue areas such as healthcare, workforce development, housing, etc.)
- Experience managing social media platforms (including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn), websites, email marketing campaigns, and graphic design efforts
- Ideal candidate is flexible and an adaptable executor with an entrepreneurial spirit
Six values guide RISE’s culture and our work together:
- Passion: We lead with our hearts and minds in the pursuit of excellence for students and families.
- Excellence: We hold ourselves to a high standard of work for our community.
- Humility: We are in service to something greater than ourselves.
- Respect: We honor the lived experiences of all we encounter.
- Honesty: We speak truth in all situations, no matter the outcome.
- Accountability: We are clear on agreements and responsible for outcomes in our work with coalitions, community, and each other.
Three core education ideas guide all our conversations, advocacy, and actions. We have built strong, diverse coalitions who share these values and are committed to collaborative, community-centered work to build a prosperous, inclusive, anti-racist, safe, and interconnected city.
- Students will be centered in all education discussions.
- Families should be empowered to choose and advocate for what’s best for their children.
- Educators should have autonomy and flexibility to meet the needs of students.
The salary range for this position is very competitive and dependent on experience level and qualifications. We are committed to making an offer that is externally and internally equitable. RISE INDY provides a comprehensive benefits package. We offer all employees comprehensive health insurance options, a retirement investment match, flexible paid time off, partial cell phone reimbursement and paid professional development opportunities.