Hamilton County Tourism, Inc. is a 501-c-6 organization that promotes and encourages tourism and development of Hamilton County, Indiana, just north of Indianapolis. But we are so much more than that. We are place-makers, working with our community partners on product development initiatives. We are innovators and thought leaders, always thinking outside the box and one step ahead of what’s around the corner. We are marketers, using sophisticated tools to share a simple message: Hamilton County is a premier destination for leisure, sports, business and beyond. Perhaps more importantly, we’re listeners and collaborators, dreamers and doers.
The Communications Manager at Hamilton County Tourism (HCT) manages and executes the social media marketing strategies of HCT and assists with media relations, communications and marketing efforts. This position promotes Hamilton County as an innovative, diverse, vibrant and attractive destination and engages with potential visitors and residents.
Social Media Management (65%)
- Develop and execute organic social media campaigns and content calendars across numerous channels by producing content designed for optimal engagement as well as designing, executing and monitoring various strategies to increase engagement.
- Work as a member of the marketing team and local Hamilton County related organizations to write, photograph and shape video content to post and engage on social networks and blogs.
- Work with the Director of Marketing & Promotions to analyze digital performance and make recommendations to improve effectiveness of social content.
- Produce and execute social contests and giveaways.
- Assist Content Manger with user generated content (UGC) to push to website, information kiosks and other HCT outlets.
- Visit attractions and attend events to stay connected with tourism partners and post new and engaging content as a result.
- Work as a member of the marketing team to collaborate with contracted agencies on best strategies for social performance.
- Provide internal counsel to HCT staff and partners on best practices in social media.
Media Relations/Communications (25%)
- Invite and host bloggers and social media influencers for site visits.
- Participate in media events including sponsored marketplace shows, familiarization tours, press trips and desk side visits.
- Build and maintain relationships with social marketing colleagues at local attractions to obtain news items and story ideas to pitch.
- Assist in story development and earned media efforts on behalf of industry partners and in key niche markets including local business, sports and meetings markets and tourism industry trade.
- Research to build and update/maintain HCT’s internal media list.
- Monitor local news outlets for items to share with staff.
- Develop backgrounders, talking points, news releases and briefing documents for organizational spokespeople as needed.
- Write/edit copy for website, newsletters, email, travel guide, blog and other outlets as needed.
Marketing Support (5%)
- Assist with internal projects to market and promote special programs.
- Assist with external projects that are internally driven such as countywide events, plan implementation or a potential significant event such as the upcoming solar eclipse.
- Assist with supervision of marketing/communications interns.
Additional Responsibilities (5%)
- Participate in HCT-sponsored functions and activities as needed.
- Participate in staff meetings and project meetings as required by position or requested by supervisor.
- Demonstrate a commitment to developing and embracing Hamilton County Tourism’s core values—excellence, collaboration, intelligence, flexibility and community.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelors degree in communications, marketing, or a related field preferred, but will consider all candidates with relevant work experience and a proven record of performance.
- Recent experience creating content for and managing social media platforms for an organization (minimum two years).
- Exceptional writing skills
- Solid communications etiquette
- Strong grammatical and language skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle situations with poise and professionalism
- Understanding of digital media, email marketing, social media and web strategies
- Ability to problem solve and excel in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Working knowledge of MS Office and social media platforms
- Ability to lift at least 25 pounds for booth/table set up or event support
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive own car as well as the company vehicle
- HCT offers a hybrid work environment with a primarily 8 a.m.- 5 p.m., Monday-Friday schedule. Due to the nature of tourism, evening and weekend work may be required at times, but not consistently or frequently.
If interested in applying, please send a cover letter, resume and writing samples (social media content, blogs, news releases) to email@example.com by Aug. 5.