2016 Bylaw Amendments: Your voice counts!
Last year the PRSA Hoosier Chapter Board of Directors began reviewing the Chapter’s governance structure to ensure our current practices were aligned with our Chapter’s bylaws. As part of this review we researched and compared our Chapter’s bylaws to other PRSA Chapters of similar size. The Hoosier Chapter Board is proposing modifications to the bylaws to help ensure our governance can effectively serve the needs of our members and customers. So what happens next?
- An official announcement of the proposed changes will be shared in our Chapter newsletter on Tuesday, Sept. 20.
- Click here for a copy of our bylaws. For your quick reference I have summarized the changes we are proposing.
- Article II Section 5. Chapter dues are reviewed by the board of directors annually in August. This ensures the Chapter provides timely feedback to the National organization as PRSA requires notification of changes to dues.
- Article III Section 2. The Chapter President has the authority to add board officers or directors as needed to conduct Chapter business.
- Article III Section 12. Director of Member Services will change to Director of Member Relations. Board members frequently confuse the responsibilities of the member services position with membership. This name change is simply to distinguish the two. Please review the bylaws for a description of each position.
- Article III Section 5. The President-Elect is responsible for developing the Chapter’s three year strategic plan.
- Article III Section 7. Update volunteer charter for the Chapter Secretary to include retention of records.
- Article III Section 8. Update volunteer charter for the Chapter Treasurer to include responsibility for state tax forms and compliance with insurance policies.
- Article VII Section 8. Addition of a remote communications policy to allow board officers and directors to participate in board meetings remotely via conference call.
- Ask us questions and let us know your thoughts. You can comment on this blog post, or email me directly at email@example.com.
- On November 9, 2016 those present at our Annual Meeting will have the opportunity to ask questions and vote on whether to pass the amended bylaws.
- If approved, the new bylaws will become effective Jan. 1, 2017.
The bylaws support our Chapter governance and mission. They may not be changed without prior notice and without discussion and vote by you, our Chapter members. Your voice counts and I’d love to hear from you!
Courtney Kasinger, APR is the immediate past president of PRSA’s Hoosier Chapter and has served the Chapter in a variety of volunteer positions. She has spent the majority of her 15 year career in healthcare communications and joined Eli Lilly and Company in 2014. Courtney is a graduate of Ball State University and is passionate about the APR, saving the world from split infinitives and starting the Harry Potter book series this year (finally) with her son Jack (10).