Several Indiana colleges are back in session this week. Meaning students have a full plate of possibilities for getting involved this year. As talented and engaged PR students, we’re sure joining your school’s PRSSA chapter is already on your to-do list.
Indiana’s colleges and universities are home to some of the best PRSSA chapters in the nation and they are great groups to join to get experience, network and learn new things.
Don’t stop with activities on or near your campus. Hoosier PRSA is eager to connect with students and we have a full schedule of activities planned this fall.
Here are five ways you can connect to PRSA this fall:
- Monthly Lunches – The second Wednesday of every month Hoosier PRSA hosts a networking and learning lunch. Students enjoy a discounted rate of $18 to attend. You’ll be amazed at the number of people you’ll meet each month. Every luncheon hosts an expert speaker with information on emerging topics. Past topics include: reaching diverse audiences, improvisation and integrating video into your social strategy.
- Learning Events – If you class schedule prohibits you from attending the monthly lunches, look into other Hoosier PRSA events. Our Social Media Bootcamp this month is just one example of the many opportunities available.
- Scholarships – Hoosier PRSA awards two $1000 scholarships each year to deserving students. The Mel Sharpe PR Graduate Student Scholarship is named in honor of Melvin Sharpe, Ph.D., APR, Fellow PRSA. The scholarship is awarded to an Indiana graduate student pursing a degree in PR. The Joanne Dring Memorial Scholarship is awarded to an outstanding Indiana undergraduate student studying PR. Applications for each scholarship will be available in early September and will be awarded at the November 9th luncheon.
- PRSSA Chapter Aid – Did you know that Hoosier PRSA provides $100 in aid to each of its affiliate PRSSA chapters? The only thing the chapter has to do to receive that money is to ask for it. Contact PRSSA@PRSAHoosier.com for more information and to find out if your PRSSA chapter is eligible.
- Half Day With A Pro – If you participate in no other PRSA events, let this be the one you attend. Half Day with a Pro will take place on November 9, 2011. Students are paired with a professional in one of three fields (agency, not-for-profit or corporate). Throughout the morning, students learn the ins-and-outs of the company’s communication and PR strategy. After the morning experience, students and professionals are invited to attend the Hoosier PRSA luncheon. Applications to attend will be available in early September. Apply early for this popular event.
Guest post by Diana Nolting. Diana is marketing manager for the Indianapolis Indians, Triple-A Affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Diana serves as a co-chair for the PRSSA committee of the PRSA Hoosier Chapter. Find her on Twitter @DNoltingIndy.