2019 Proposed Bylaw Amendment: Your Voice Counts!
Earlier this year, the PRSA Hoosier Chapter Board of Directors reviewed our board and committee structure to ensure the Chapter could best accomplish its strategic plan and provide maximum opportunity for volunteers and members.
After careful research and consideration, the Hoosier Chapter Board proposes modifying the bylaws to ensure our Board effectively and efficiently serves the needs of our members.
Proposed bylaw change: Combine director of advocacy and director of ethics positions into the director of advocacy and ethics.
Why is the board recommending this change?
- The combination of the director of advocacy and director of ethics roles aligns with PRSA National.
- Role of current director of advocacy is to “carry out the mission of the National PRSA Advocacy Advisory Board (AAB)” which discusses things such as pending legislation, regulatory proposals, practice challenges and current issues with a potential impact on the practice and principles of the PR profession.
- Issues touch on the Code of Ethics and the AAB draws on expertise from representatives of PRSA’s Board of Ethics and Professional Standards.
- This crossover between ethics and advocacy at a national level mirror this proposed structure change and provide a natural overlap to combine these positions.
What happens next?
- An official announcement of this proposed change will be published in our Chapter’s e-newsletter Sept. 18.
- Ask Board members questions and share your thoughts. You can comment on this blog post, or email me directly at email@example.com.
- Those members in good standing and present at our Annual Meeting Wednesday, Nov. 14, will have the opportunity to ask questions and vote on whether to pass the amended bylaws. Members may also opt to vote by proxy.
- If approved, the new bylaws will become effective Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2019.
Click here for a copy of our current bylaws.
The bylaws support our Chapter governance and mission. They may not be changed without prior notice and without discussion and vote by you, our Chapter members. Your voice counts and I’d love to hear from you!
Emily Kibling, APR, President-Elect